Monday, September 24, 2007

Calmness in the Face of Provocation

Just a quick note that I'm doing better on this, slowly and surely.

• Even when things aren't fair, getting upset doesn't do any good and when I am upset I feel worse than when I'm not upset. Peace feels good. And my own peace depends on me, not on circumstances.
• Other people take cues from me and when I get upset, they get upset. If I remain calm and become even more gentle and quiet when those around me are losing it, they have a chance to anchor to me and yield some equanimity from it. It does us both some good.
• I'm finding life to simply be more pleasant. And unpleasant circumstances are less unpleasant than before. Cool.

It's hard to put these in bullet points. Bullet points aren't going to make real change in a person. I'm merely trying to express something that has a much deeper and more complex reality going on already.

No comments: